Muggle money is currency used by the Muggles, with various types depending on nationality. They cannot be used in the wizarding world because wizards and witches have their own currency of galleons, sickles and knuts. However, Muggle money can be exchanged with the wizarding community at locations such as Gringotts Wizarding Bank in order for Muggle-borns to acquire such funds. Muggle money exchanged at Gringotts is put back into circulation in the Muggle world by goblins, so as to make sure the Wizarding world is hidden from Muggles.
Wizardkind who are unfamiliar with the Muggle world may have difficulty dealing with Muggle currency, to the point of trying to use incompatible wizarding currency instead.
In 1992, Harry told Ron that the Dursleys hadn't given him pocket money in about six years. Later, when Mr and Mrs Granger were in Diagon Alley to buy school supplies with their daughter, they exchanged their money for wizarding currency at Gringotts. Arthur Weasley was fascinated by this and remarked upon it to his wife Molly.
In 1994, there was a fifty-pence piece in the Dursleys' living room. Later that year, at the Quidditch World Cup, Arthur and some other wizards had trouble dealing with muggle currency with the campsite owner, Mr Roberts, and one even tried to give a galleon instead.
In 1995, when Arthur had to take Harry to the Ministry of Magic for a disciplinary hearing regarding his use of underage magic, they went by the Underground. Arthur had trouble dealing with Muggle currency once again, and Harry handled the transaction with the tickets.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Euro symbol seen on newspaper)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault