The Muffliato Charm (Muffliato) is a charm used to fill the ears of any person in the vicinity of the caster with an unidentifiable buzzing sound so as to allow conversing without being overheard. The spell was invented by Severus Snape and recorded during his time as a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Harry Potter used this spell multiple times during the 1996-1997 school year after discovering the Half-Blood Prince's copy of Advanced Potion-Making.
Hermione Granger originally disapproved of using the spell, but came to use it herself when it was needed; for example, to protect the campsites she shared with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley when they hunted for Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes between 1997-1998.
- The English word muffle means "to make a sound less distinct by covering its source."
Behind the scenes
- It is unknown when Severus Snape invented this and many of his other spells as according to Sirius Black "he knew more curses when he arrived at school than half the kids in seventh year." 
- A prop made for the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has Muffliato being among the tested material. This cannot be considered canon, however, as neither Harry, Ron nor Hermione knew of the spell until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- This is the last named Defensive Charm cast by Hermione before she begins her nonverbal spellcasting.
- Given that ravens were startled into flight when Harry Potter was shouting at his friends in an area protected by this spell that the charm may only work on humans.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (First mentioned) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 14 (The Thief)
- ↑ Scholastic Pronunciation Guide
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 15 (The Goblin's Revenge)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Chapter 19 (Elf Tails)
- ↑ As the incantation is derived from English "muffle", it is likely that is the effect.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Chapter 12 (Silver and Opals) - "Harry had already attempted a few of the Prince’s self-invented spells."
- ↑ Pottermore - All about... Severus Snape
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 27 (Padfoot Returns)