|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "I was the only one who saw her for what she was... a freak! But for my mother and father, oh no, it was Lily this and Lily that, they were proud of having a witch in the family!"
- —Evans parent's pride in Lily[src]
Mr Evans (died between 1 September 1971 and 31 October 1981) was a Muggle and the father of Petunia and Lily Evans. He had two grandsons, Dudley Dursley and Harry Potter, through his daughters' marriages to Vernon Dursley and James Potter.
The couple's elder daughter was a Muggle like them. Their younger daughter, on the other hand, turned out to be a Muggle-born witch. Mr Evans and his wife were proud to have a magical daughter, but Petunia thought differently, considering her sister to be a "freak." According to Petunia, Mr and Mrs Evans favoured Lily, talking about her constantly.
Death and legacy
Mr Evans and his wife died "normal Muggle death[s]" sometime before the murder of their daughter Lily and son-in-law James Potter, on the night of 31 October, 1981. This meant that their grandson, Harry Potter was left in the care of Petunia, his only surviving blood relation.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned) (Appears in Mirror of Erised)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 2004 World Book Day webchat
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2005 interview with Emerson Spartz and Melissa Anelli
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 37 (The Lost Prophecy), it is stated that, at the time of Lily's death on 31 October 1981, Petunia was "her only remaining relative," and thus the sisters' parents must have died sometime before that date.
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Cokeworth" at Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 16 (Godric's Hollow)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 33 (The Prince's Tale)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 4 (The Keeper of the Keys)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 37 (The Lost Prophecy)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 12 (The Mirror of Erised)