|Moste Potente Potions|
- "It wears off after a while', said Hermione, waving her hand impatiently, 'but getting hold of the recipe will be very difficult. Snape said it was in a book called Moste Potente Potions and it's bound to be in the restricted section of the library."
Moste Potente Potions contained recipes for many dangerous, controversial, and arcane potions, which required advanced skill in potion-making to brew. Gruesome illustrations showed the effects of such potions. The Hogwarts Library accordingly kept its copy of this book in the Restricted Section.
In 1992, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley planned to sneak into the Slytherin common room in order to investigate the mystery of Slytherin's Heir, and needed to make Polyjuice Potion so they could disguise themselves as Slytherin students.
Hermione obtained a permission slip to check Moste Potente Potions out of the Restricted Section from Gilderoy Lockhart, claiming that the book contained information on slow-acting venoms that she thought might help her understand what Lockhart had written on this subject in Gadding with Ghouls.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets the book was found in the regular section of the library.
- Also in the book, there is a picture (Figure VII) of a woman with a grotesquely large spider on her head, almost worn like an ornament. Whether or not this is an effect of a potion is unknown. It is possible that it is the side-effect of accidentally imbibing a Polyjuice Potion contaminated by spider hairs, similar as to when Hermione was partially transfigured into a cat when her Polyjuice Potion was contaminated with cat hair.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Notes and references