Morgan le Fay lived during the Middle Ages. She is known to have had a half-brother, Arthur, with whom she shared a mother lady Igraine, but not a father and hers is believed to be their mother's first husband Duke of Cornwall.
During her lifetime, Morgan le Fay played a role in many events, and was a powerful witch, being a proficient healer and an Animagus taking the form of a bird. She ruled as queen over the island of Avalon. However, she also practiced the Dark Arts, and was an enemy of the great wizard Merlin.
Magical abilities and skills
- Dark Arts: Morgana's famous wizard Card described her as an immensely powerful dark witch.
- Animagus: She had mastered self-Transfiguration, turning herself into a bird at will. Being a bird, she has the ability of flying without the need of a broomstick or other rides.
- Healing magic: Morgan was also noted to be very adept with healing spells.
Behind the scenes
- Morgan le Fay is based on the legendary figure of the same name, the daughter of King Arthur's mother the Lady Igraine and her first husband Gorlois, Duke of Cornwall (making her Arthur's half-sister in legend too).
- In the film Merlin, with Sam Neill as the title character, Morgan le Fay was portrayed by Helena Bonham Carter, who later went on to play Dark witch Bellatrix Lestrange.
- Before Emma Watson got the part of Hermione Granger she had acted only in school plays; one was "Arthur's Early Years", in which she played the role of Morgan le Fay.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
Notes and references