|Miserable Female Gargoyle|
- Ron: "Are you a talking gargoyle?"
- Gargoyle: "Do you normally talk to ones that can't speak?"
- Ron: "I don't normally talk to gargoyles."
- Gargoyle: "I should imagine many gargoyles are grateful for that."
- Harry: "Thanks for talking to us. Let's go."
- Hermione: "She didn't seem very happy."
- — Finding one of the five talking gargoyles.[src]
The Miserable Female Gargoyle (made 1737) was one of the talking gargoyles in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is located in the Transfiguration Courtyard of the castle. As of 1995, it was two-hundred and fifty-eight years old, and frequently reminded people of this fact.
During the 1995–1996 school year, Professor Binns assigned his Fifth year students the task of listing five talking gargoyles as a homework assignment. Harry Potter located the gargoyles as a favour to Dean Thomas so that he could attend the first meeting of Dumbledore's Army in the Room of Requirement.
Like the others, casting Incendio on the gargoyle would cause it to breathe fire.
Behind the scenes
- The gargoyle was voiced by Rachel Atkins in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- The gargoyle's name was identified during the game's credits.
- Other conversations with the gargoyle:
- "Don't know, don't care, don't ask me."
- —Conversation 1[src]
- "Two-hundred and fifty-eight years I've been here. Two-hundred and fifty-eight years. And has anyone thought to clean the spiders out of my nose? Nooo they have not."
- —Conversation 2[src]
- "The things I've seen, sitting here. It's amazing what you can see from the top of a plinth for over two-hundred and fifty-eight years."
- —Conversation 3[src]
- "I'm two-hundred and fifty-eight years old, you know. And I think that qualifies me for a little bit of respect."
- —Conversation 4[src]
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (First appearance)