|Minerva McGonagall's wand|
Stiff, incredible with Transfiguration
Minerva McGonagall's wand is 9 1/2" long, made of fir, and had a dragon heartstring core.The wand is utmost suitable for Transfiguration, proven by its owner, who teaches the subject and who's an animagus herself. This wand was also manufactured by Garrick Ollivander.
This wand was purchased at Ollivanders Wand Shop by Minerva before she began her education at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This wand later proved itself useful for Transfiguration, when she became an Animagus and eventually went on to teach the subject of Transfiguration.
McGonagall has been able to perform very powerful and advanced magic with this wand, such as in the Battle of Hogwarts, when she was able to conjure Patronuses and while duelling numerous Death Eaters throughout the first and second stages of the battle.
She most likely continued to use this wand after the final battle, during her time as headmistress of Hogwarts and into her retirement as well.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptations, the wand is sixteen and a half inches with a glass piece protruding out of the elaborate handle.
- The glass tip on the wand is highly breakable and in order not to snap it off, Dame Maggie Smith used long sweeping gestures.
- In the film adaptations the wand is one of the few that has had a consistent design throughout all the films in the series. But, some websites show that the wand did not have a sphere-like handle, which a smooth rod replace it in the first two films.
- If one is to look closely at the glass cabinet on Garrick Ollivander's counter in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, a wand that looks exactly like Minerva McGonagall's wand is visible. This suggests that even in the first two films the wands were made of resin.
- Fir wands are stated to align to wizards who are particularly suited to Transfiguration, and who have a tendency to survive "mortal peril". McGonagall was Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and, in 1996, survived three simultaneous Stunning Spells taken to the chest with only a brief stint in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries despite her age at the time. She also survived the whole of the Second Wizarding War, including the Battle of Hogwarts, despite being a prime target due to her close association with Albus Dumbledore.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7