- "A small grey cactus in a pot, except that it was covered with what looked like boils rather than spines."
The Mimbulus Mimbletonia is a very rare plant, surmised to be originate in Assyria.
It is most notable for its pulsating and squirming nature and its unique defence mechanism. When prodded, Stinksap is squirted out from the boils on the surface of the plant. Stinksap is a non-poisonous liquid and is described as dark green and smelling like "rancid manure". After receiving one of them as a gift during the summer of 1995, Neville Longbottom demonstrated its defence mechanism for Harry Potter on the Hogwarts Express, accidentally covering the compartment and the people in it with Stinksap. Later on, it is discovered that further on in the plant's development, it makes "odd crooning noises when touched."
The plant is also mentioned by Hermione Granger in 1997, when retorting to Ron Weasley that she doubts that he "would find a woman who sulked for half an hour because Madam Rosmerta didn't laugh at their joke about the hag, the healer and the Mimbulus mimbletonia" after his comment about women being easily upset.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 
Notes and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: chapter 10
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01wKDq_ja5s&feature=player_embedded
|Professors: Herbert Beery · Pomona Sprout · Neville Longbottom|
|Textbooks: Flesh-Eating Trees of the World · Goshawk's Guide to Herbology · Magical Water Plants of the Mediterranean · One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi · Winogrand's Wonderous Water Plants|
|Hogwarts class: Herbology Award · Herbology Lesson Cup · Herbology Race Cup · Herbology Store|
|Hogwarts greenhouses: One · Two · Three · Four · Five · Six · Seven · Professor's Office|
|Herbologists: Herbert Beery · Miranda Goshawk · Elladora Ketteridge · Beaumont Marjoribanks · Nepali wizard · Phyllida Spore · Tilden Toots · Hadrian Whittle · Sir Winogrand · Selina Sapworthy|
|Plants Studied: Bouncing Bulb · Bubotuber · Devil's Snare · Fire Seed Bush · Mandrake · Mimbulus Mimbletonia · Puffapod · Screechsnap · Self-fertilising shrub · Snargaluff · Spiky Bush · Spiky Prickly Plant · Umbrella Flower · Venomous Tentacula · Whomping Willow · Wild rice|