- "No matter where Harry went within the castle, the sole topic of conversation was Dumbledore’s flight, and though some of the details may have gone awry in the retelling (Harry overheard one second-year girl assuring another that Fudge was now lying in St Mungo’s with a pumpkin for a head) it was surprising how accurate the rest of their information was."
- —The rumour that Minister Cornelius Fudge was the victim of this jinx[src]
The Melofors Jinx (Melofors) is a jinx that encases the victim's head in a pumpkin, although it appears to those watching to transform the victim's head into a pumpkin. The pumpkin can be shattered to free the victim, or can fall apart on its own after a short time.
Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger used this spell on various erklings throughout the grounds of Hogwarts Castle during the 1994-1995 school year, overlooked by their Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Bartemius Crouch Jr (who at the time was disguised as Alastor Moody).
In the very next school year, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore managed to escape Cornelius Fudge, Dolores Umbridge and Percy Weasley after they came to arrest him, and the next day a rumour spread that Fudge was in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries after having had this jinx used on him.
Behind the scenes
- The jinx is included in the "5 Spell Pack" DLC for LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7.
- The jinx is also an unlockable spell in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4.
- In the French-language version of the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban video game, the incantation is rendered as Citrouillétafors, "citrouille" meaning pumpkin.
See the page -fors suffix.
"Melo-" is likely deriving from the English word "melon" as pumpkins are a part of the melon family.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned as "pumpkin for a head")
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS and PSP version only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery