The Master of Death (also known as Conqueror of Death, Vanquisher of Death and others) is the one who masters all three of the legendary Deathly Hallows, which are the Elder Wand, Resurrection Stone, and Cloak of Invisibility. While it is generally assumed that becoming the master of Death refers to some form of immortality, the true Master of Death truly accepts the fact that death is inevitable, and that there are other things worse than dying.
Known searches for the Hallows
Known Masters of Death
- Ignotus Peverell mastered only one of the Hallows, but accepted the inevitability of death.
- Albus Dumbledore possessed all three Hallows, but not at the same time. He mastered the Elder Wand, borrowed the Cloak of Invisibility from James Potter before giving it to Harry during his first year at Hogwarts, and found the Resurrection Stone in the Gaunt shack. Also he accepted his own death.
- Harry Potter possessed all three Hallows and accepted his own death. First, he inherited the Cloak of Invisibility from his father, James. Then, he inherited the Resurrection Stone from Dumbledore, which was inside a snitch. Finally, he won the Elder Wand from Draco Malfoy during the escape from Malfoy Manor. All three were directly or indirectly employed by Harry in the Forbidden Forest: he was wearing the Cloak, using the Stone, and preparing to be killed by the Wand, which Harry had already won. Given that Harry was the initial reason for Voldemort's obsession with the Elder Wand, it was highly unlikely that he would have killed Harry with Nagini or some other means. Although Harry may not have realized that he was the master of Elder Wand at that time, he was well aware of its importance to Voldemort. Considering that he also asked if dying hurt, he probably assumed that he would not be attacked by Nagini this time, which would doubtless have been a physically painful death.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Possibly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Possibly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possibly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Possibly)