- "Mulciber! What do you see in him, Sev? He's creepy! D'you know what he tried to do to Mary Macdonald the other day?"
- —Lily to Severus[src]
Sometime during her time at school, she was assaulted by Mulciber, a pure-blood Slytherin and a future Death Eater, with Dark Magic. The incident was quickly publicised and was heavily criticised by several students. Several other Slytherins, however, felt that the event was a joke, and that it was merely for a laugh.
The name "Mary" is the usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) and Μαρια (Maria) - the spellings are interchangeable - which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness," "rebelliousness," and "wished for child." However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry ("beloved") or mr ("love").
Behind the scenes
- It is unknown precisely why she was assaulted by Mulciber except as a random target. It is possible that she was Muggle-born, or else that she and her family were blood traitors.
Notes and references
- ↑ To start for the 1969 school year and to still be at Hogwarts still in the 1975-1976 school year (her final) to be attacked by Mulciber, Mary must be no older than 17, unless she was in a repeat year.
- ↑ Mary is at Hogwarts in the later half of the 1975-1976 year, meaning that she is no younger than 11.
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling
- ↑ Mary may be a Muggleborn as she was targetted by a known future Death Eater.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 33 (The Prince's Tale)