Marlene McKinnon (d. 1981) was a witch and member of the original Order of the Phoenix. She fought in the First Wizarding War and was murdered by Death Eaters, along with her family. The McKinnons were described as being one of the families Voldemort and his followers completely wiped out.
Marlene was a part of the wizarding McKinnon family. It is possible that she had at least one sibling, or a spouse. It was known that she attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and might have befriended Lily Evans during this time.
During the First Wizarding War, Marlene McKinnon became a member of the Order of the Phoenix, an organisation led and founded by Albus Dumbledore, in order to oppose Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. She fought in several battles of the First Wizarding War. The McKinnons were said to be one of the families killed off by Voldemort, as Rubeus Hagrid told Harry in his first year, when pushed to discuss the matter.
Marlene and her whole family were murdered by Death Eaters in July 1981. Igor Karkaroff implicated Travers as one of the people who was involved. "Mad-Eye" Moody pointed Marlene out to Harry Potter in a photo of the Order that was taken two weeks before her death.
"Marlene" is a name of Germanic origin, and is a blend of the names "Maria" and "Magdaline"; which mean "star of the sea" and "of Magdala" respectively. The name "McKinnon" is Scottish, an Anglicised version of the Gaelic name "Mac Fhionghuin", meaning "fair born" or "fair son." It is also translated as "love."
Behind the scenes
- Although the McKinnon family is mentioned throughout the series, as well in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Marlene and the Longbottoms were the only ones identified as working for the Order.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned, not by name)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Appears in photographs)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in photographs)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 10 (Kreacher's Tale), we see that Lily Potter wrote a letter not long after Harry Potter's birthday. She stated that Peter Pettigrew visited "last weekend" and appeared to be "down, but that was probably the news about the McKinnons", implying that they had died not that long ago in July 1981.
- ↑ In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Hagrid explicitly states "the McKinnons"; this means there was more than one McKinnon, but it is never stated as to whether it was a sibling of Marlene or a husband.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 30 (The Pensieve)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 9 (The Woes of Mrs Weasley)