Marlene McKinnon (d. July 1981) was a member of the Order of the Phoenix during the First Wizarding War. Before the end of the war, she was murdered by Death Eaters along with her family. The McKinnons were described as being one of the families Voldemort and his followers killed during the first war.
Marlene was a part of the wizarding McKinnon family. It is possible that she had at least one sibling, or a spouse.It was known that she attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizadry and might've befriended Lily Evans during this time.
First Wizarding War
During the First Wizarding War, Marlene McKinnon became a member of the Order of the Phoenix, an organisation led and founded by Albus Dumbledore, in order to oppose Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. She fought in several battles of the First Wizarding War. The McKinnons were said to be one of the families killed off by Voldemort, as Rubeus Hagrid told Harry in his first year, when pushed to discuss the matter.
"Marlene" is a name of Germanic origin, and is a blend of the names "Maria" and "Magdaline"; which mean "star of the sea" and "of Magdala" respectively. The name "McKinnon" is Scottish, an Anglicised version of the Gaelic name "Mac Fhionghuin", meaning "fair born" or "fair son." It is also translated as "love."
Behind the scenes
- Although the McKinnon family is mentioned throughout the series, as well in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Marlene and the Longbottoms were the only ones identified as working for the Order.
- In the film adaptation, it was Sirius Black who pointed out Marlene McKinnon in the photograph of the Order of the Phoenix.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned, not by name)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Picture only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Picture only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)