The gates to Malfoy Manor — the magic wrought-iron gates. These gates permit select individuals (Death Eaters who make some sort of salute a hand with a Dark Mark) to pass through them as if they are smoke, and with others the iron contorts into a face which demands the purpose of the person trying to enter the manor.
July, 1996Death Eaters Yaxley and Severus Snape entered the Manor through gate.
- "The high hedge curved into them, running off into the distance beyond the pair of imposing wrought-iron gates barring the men’s way. Neither of them broke step: In silence both raised their left arms in a kind of salute and passed straight through, as though the dark metal was smoke."
March, 1997When Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger were caught by a group of Snatchers led by Fenrir Greyback, they were brought to Malfoy Manor gate.
- "One of the Snatchers strode to the gates and shook them.
“How do we get in? They’re locked, Greyback, I can’t—blimey!”
He whipped his hands away in fright. The iron was contorting, twisting itself out of the abstract furls and coils into a frightening face, which spoke in a clanging, echoing voice. “State your purpose!”
“We’ve got Potter!” Greyback roared triumphantly. “We’ve captured Harry Potter!”
The gates swung open."
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)