Magizoology is the study of magical creatures. Wizards and witches in this field are referred to as Magizoologists. The most famous magizoologist was Newt Scamander, author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Luna Lovegood was also a Magizoologist in her later career, as was Luna's husband, Rolf Scamander, Newt Scamander's grandson. Rubeus Hagrid could be considered a Magizoologist, since he was the Care of Magical Creatures professor at Hogwarts, as would his predecessor, Silvanus Kettleburn.
The Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures gives classifications to all known beasts, beings, and spirits. These offer an at-a-glance guide to the perceived dangerousness of a creature.
Ministry of Magic (M.O.M.) Classification
- XXXXX - Known wizard killer / impossible to train or domesticate
- XXXX - Dangerous / requires specialist knowledge / skilled wizard may handle
- XXX - Competent wizard should cope
- XX - Harmless / may be domesticated
- X - Very Boring
Beasts under study of Magizoology and their Ministry classification
- Blast-Ended Skrewt
- Centaur (should be treated with great respect) 
- Merpeople (should be treated with great respect) 
- Phoenix (only a few wizards and witches who already domesticated them)
- Snidget (any wizard who captures this creature will be punished, due to their near-extinction from past hunting)
- Unicorn (should be treated with great respect) 
- Fire Crab
- Mackled Malaclaw
- Red Cap
- Sea Serpent
Books about Magizoology
Zoology is the branch of biology that focuses on the structure, function, behaviour, and evolution of animals. So, Magizoology is a combination of the word "magic" and "zoology".
Behind the scenes
A real world example of Magizoology is Cryptozoology, the study of hidden animals that were believed to be extinct, yet some people catched a glimpse of their existence in real-life.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Mentioned only)