Magizoology is the study of magical creatures. Wizards and witches in this field are referred to as Magizoologists. The most famous magizoologist was Newt Scamander, author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. There is many different sub-categories in this field, such as dragonologists, as well as specialists.
A magizoologist is a person who studies magical creatures (a field known as magizoology); though they may possibly also be referred to as wizarding naturalists. A person does not need to have graduated from school to become a Magizoologist.
The Scamander family has many members that have worked as magizoologists. One of the most famous magizoologists is Newt Scamander. He was the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Early in life, Scamander developed an interest in magical creatures that was influenced by his mother's breeding of hippogriffs. Newt's grandson Rolf and his wife Luna were considered wizarding naturalists.
A Care of Magical Creatures class is taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for students who wish to learn about magical beasts. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a required textbook and the professor of the subject can be counted as an magizoologist, since they are educating others about creatures. Rubeus Hagrid was the Care of Magical Creatures professor at Hogwarts, his predecessor was Silvanus Kettleburn.
A Dragonologist is a magizoologist who specialises in the study of dragons.
The Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures gives classifications to all known beasts, beings, and spirits. These offer an at-a-glance guide to the perceived dangerousness of a creature.
Ministry of Magic (M.O.M.) Classification
- XXXXX - Known wizard killer / impossible to train or domesticate
- XXXX - Dangerous / requires specialist knowledge / skilled wizard may handle
- XXX - Competent wizard should cope
- XX - Harmless / may be domesticated
- X - Boring
- Centaur (should be treated with great respect)
- Merpeople (should be treated with great respect)
- Phoenix (only a few wizards and witches who already domesticated them)
- Snidget(any wizard who captures this creature will be punished, due to their near-extinction from past hunting)
- Unicorn (should be treated with great respect)
Texts on Magizoology
- Rubeus Hagrid
- Newt Scamander
- Rolf Scamander
- Luna Lovegood
- Prof. Silvanus Kettleburn
- Prof. Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank
Zoology is the branch of biology that focuses on the structure, function, behaviour, and evolution of animals. So, Magizoology is a combination of the word "magic" and "zoology".
Behind the scenes
A real world field of study related to Magizoology is Cryptozoology, the study of hidden animals that were believed to be extinct, yet some people catched a glimpse of their existence in real-life.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Mentioned only)