A Magizoologist is a person who studies magical creatures (a field known as magizoology); though they may possibly also be referred to as wizarding naturalists. A person may not need to have graduated from school to become a Magizoologist.
The Scamander family has many members that have worked as magizoologists. One of the most famous magizoologists is Newt Scamander. He was the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Early in life, Scamander developed an interest in magical creatures that was influenced by his mother's breeding of hippogriffs. Newt's grandson Rolf and his wife Luna were considered wizarding naturalists.
A Care of Magical Creatures class is taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for students who wish to learn about magical beasts. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a required textbook and the professor of the subject can be counted as an magizoologist, since they are educating others about creatures.
A Dragonologist is a magizoologist who specialises in the study of dragons.
|Newt Scamander||Author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, an authority in Magizoology.|
|Rolf Scamander||Newt's grandson, referred to as a wizarding naturalist.|
|Luna Lovegood||Referred to as a wizarding naturalist.|
|Gondoline Oliphant||Specialised in trolls.|
|Quong Po||Dragonologist, specialised in the Chinese Fireball breed.|
|Gulliver Pokeby||Expert on magical birds and author of Why I Didn't Die When the Augurey Cried.|
|Harvey Ridgebit||Dragonologist, established the dragon sanctuary in Romania.|
|Havelock Sweeting||Specialised in unicorns.|
|Charles Weasley||Dragonologist at the Romanian Dragon Sanctuary.|
|Lord Stoddard Withers||Specialised in winged horses.|
|Edwardus Lima||Author of The Monster Book of Monsters.|
|Silvanus Kettleburn||A former professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, known for studying and taking care of magical creatures.|
|Rubeus Hagrid||A professor at Hogwarts, known for studying and taking care of magical creatures.|
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life
Notes and references
- ↑ Newt Scamander was sentenced to be expelled from school, and while it is unknown whether that was carried out or not, Newt still became a Magizoologist.
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ Bloomsbury Live Chat
- ↑ "Finished ‘Potter'? Rowling tells what happens next" from MSNBC.com
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone