The Magical Menagerie is a shop in North Side, Diagon Alley. It is very cramped and noisy with every inch of wall covered by cages. It sells all kinds of animals - poisonous orange snails, a giant jewel-encrusted tortoise, sleek black rats that are very intelligent, owls, ravens, cats of every colour, Puffskeins, a Transforming Rabbit and much more.
It was there that Ron Weasley gets some Rat tonic for his pet rat, Scabbers, (who was really Peter Pettigrew, hiding in his animagus form) and Hermione Granger gets her cat/Kneazle crossbreed, Crookshanks.
Known species for saleEdit
- Giant Orange Snail
- Fire crab
- Baby Nifflers
- Baby Pygmy Puffs
- Common Toad - costs 5 Galleons.
- Crested Toad - 9 Galleons.
- Harlequin Toad - 9 Galleons.
- Western Green Toad - 9 Galleons.
- Natterjack Toad - 5 Galleons.
- Black Cat - 9 Galleons.
- Ginger Cat - 9 Galleons.
- Siamese Cat - 11 Galleons.
- White Cat - 9 Galleons.
- Tabby Cat - 9 Galleons.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the film adaption of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone the Magical Menagerie has a mistake. When Harry Potter looks around, the camera is zooming into a bat, we see the green text "MAGICAL" on a red awning and later when Hagrid explains where Harry's money is we see the green text "MENAGERIE" on a red awning at the end of the Alley.
- Pottermore users can purchase some of enumerated above species, and make them their pets.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1 version only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Briefly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter- Diagon Alley
Notes and referencesEdit