Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
This letter was written by Mafalda Hopkirk to Harry Potter on 2 August, 1995, notifying him that he had performed magic in front of a Muggle and was expelled from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Though his expulsion was overturned, Harry was still to attend a hearing.
Dear Mr Potter,
The severity of this breach of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery has resulted in your expulsion from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Ministry representatives will be calling at your place of residence shortly to destroy your wand.
As you have already received an official warning for a previous offence under Section 13 of the International Confederation of Warlocks' Statute of Secrecy, we regret to inform you that your presence is required at a disciplinary hearing at the Ministry of Magic at 9 a.m. on the twelfth of August.
Hoping you are well,
Improper Use of Magic Office Ministry of Magic
Behind the scenes
- This letter is depicted as a milder type of Howler instead of a regular letter in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The contents of the letter are also worded differently in the film adaptation:
- Dear Mr Potter,
- The Ministry has received intelligence that at six twenty-three, this evening, you performed the Patronus Charm in the presence of a Muggle. As a clear violation of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery, you are hereby expelled from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Hoping you are well,
- Mafalda Hopkirk
- In the film, the envelope bears the words "Confidential" and "Per Bubonem" (the latter being Latin for "through owl").
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter Lexicon: Calendar - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 2 (A Peck of Owls)