Luna presumably obtained it in 1992, when she was eleven years old, likely from Ollivanders, and used it until halfway through her sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She often placed it behind her left ear for safekeeping.
The wand was confiscated when Luna was abducted by Death Eaters in 1997 in order to force her father to cooperate with the Voldemort-controlled Ministry of Magic. Luna spent months in the dungeons of Malfoy Manor with fellow prisoner Garrick Ollivander, the famed wand-maker, to whom she was a great comfort.
After they were rescued by Dobby during the Skirmish at Malfoy Manor, Ollivander constructed a new wand for Luna, with which she practised while staying at Shell Cottage before the Battle of Hogwarts. It is unknown if she was ever reunited with her first wand.
The colour of the wood changes in different light, but is normally a green-ish yellow. It is decorated with acorns.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptations, Luna's wand has acorn patterns etched across the length of the wood. This theme resembles Hermione Granger's wand, which also has plant-like designs.
- Judging from the acorn patterns on the wand, it is possible that the wand is made from oak.
- This wand, like Hermione Granger's wand, is one of the few wands in the film adaptations that does not have an obvious handle.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault