- "The Ministry for Magic is conducting more raids, and I have a few - ah - items like this at home, that might embarrass me."
- —Lucius Malfoy describing the supposedly dangerous contents within this book
The Lumos spellbook is a book containing information on, and instructions of how to perform, the Wand-Lighting Charm. It was hidden in the bowels of Hogwarts Castle and protected by several simple obstacles, which Professor Quirinus Quirrell used to provide a challenge to his students learning Lumos in his classes in September or October in 1991. On 5 August, 1992.
Behind the Scenes
- Lucius Malfoy implied that this book contained ethically questionable Dark magic, and therefore wanted to sell this to Mr. Borgin to avoid Ministry persecution or accusations, but the Wand-Lighting Charm is a common and very safe spell to use, and isn't Dark magic in the slightest.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)