She was born in 1925 as the eldest daughter of Arcturus Black III and Melania Macmillan and was the sister of Orion. She went to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where she was in Slytherin house.
She married Ignatius Prewett, making her (most probably) the stepmother or aunt of Gideon, Fabian, and Molly Prewett (later Weasley). It is unknown if she was close to her relatives by marriage.
She died in 1992 and is depicted on the Black family tree tapestry.
Lucretia was a legendary Roman maiden who was raped by the son of the king of Rome, an event which triggered the toppling of the monarchy and the establishment of the Roman Republic. She commited suicide in public protest against dishonor. The name is from the Roman family name Lucretius, possibly derived from the Latin lucrum, "profit, wealth." Also, Lucrezia Borgia was a Renaissance noblewoman from a family notorious for its ruthlessness and corruption.
281 Lucretia is an asteroid, which means this name loosely fits in with the Black family tradition of using celestial names for their children.
Behind the scenes
- Horace Slughorn said that all the Blacks were in Slytherin except Sirius, so it is almost certain that Lucretia, who had Slughorn as her Potions professor from c. 1936-1943, was likewise in Slytherin.
- Since Lucretia and Walburga Black were born on the same year, it is most likely that they were classmates at Hogwarts.
- Lucretia is depicted on the family tree tapestry very much like Misapinoa Blishwick (née Black). While Lucretia is depicted with a sad face, Mrs Blishwick is depicted with a smile.
- 281 Lucretia is an asteroid belonging to the Flora family in the Main Belt. It was discovered by Johann Palisa on October 31, 1888 in Vienna. It is named for the middle name of Caroline Herschel, one of the first female astronomers.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tapestry)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 Black family tree
- ↑ Sirius Black stated in Ch. 6 of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that Molly Weasley was his "cousin by marriage". See this talk page for more information.
- ↑ Behind the Name: Lucretia