She was born in 1925 as the eldest daughter of Arcturus Black III and Melania Macmillan and was the sister of Orion. She went to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where she was in Slytherin house.
She married Ignatius Prewett, making her an aunt by marriage of Fabian, Gideon and Molly Prewett (later Weasley), though it is unknown if she was close to Molly, as Ignatius was. She was an aunt by blood of Sirius and Regulus Black through her younger brother.
She died in 1992 and is depicted on the Black family tree tapestry.
Lucretia was a legendary Roman maiden who was raped by the son of the king of Rome, an event which triggered the toppling of the monarchy and the establishment of the Roman Republic. She commited suicide in public protest against dishonor. The name is from the Roman family name Lucretius, possibly derived from the Latin lucrum, "profit, wealth." Also, Lucrezia Borgia was a Renaissance noblewoman from a family notorious for its ruthlessness and corruption.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Based on a statement by Horace Slughorn, Lucretia may well have been a member of the Slytherin House. However, she attended Hogwarts c. 1936 - 1943, when Slughorn may not have been Potions master.
- Since Lucretia and Walburga Black were born on the same year, it is most likely that they were classmates at Hogwarts.
- Lucretia is depicted on the family tree tapestry very much like Misapinoa Blishwick (née Black). While Lucretia is depicted with a sad face, Mrs Blishwick is depicted with a smile.
- 281 Lucretia is an asteroid belonging to the Flora family in the Main Belt. It was discovered by Johann Palisa on October 31, 1888 in Vienna. It is named for the middle name of Caroline Herschel, one of the first female astronomers.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tapestry)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 Black family tree
- ↑ Sirius Black stated in Ch. 6 of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that Molly Weasley was his "cousin by marriage". This means that Ignatius could not have been Molly, Fabian, and Gideon's father, as this would have made them first cousins by blood of Sirius. Ignatius was Sirius's uncle by marriage, and if Molly was his niece, this could explain Sirius's comment. See this talk page for more information.
- ↑ Behind the Name: Lucretia