|Luca Michali Caruso|
Luca Michali Caruso was a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the 1990s. Caruso joined Dumbledore's Army, an organisation taught and led by Harry Potter and was one of the people to sign their name on its parchment. At some point, Caruso also purchased Diabolic Dare Devils, Weasleys' Wildfire Whiz-bangs, and a Basic Blaze Box from Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.
As a male given name, Luca is the Italian and Romanian form of Luke, an English form of the Greek name Loukas, meaning "from Lucania." Lucania was an ancient region of Southern Italy extending from the Tyrrhenian Sea to the Gulf of Taranto.
Caruso is an Italian surname derived from the Italian word caruso, "close-cropped," itself from the Latin cariosus, "smooth" or "bald." The word took on the broader meaning of "boy" in Italian, since, during the Middle Ages, when most men wore their hair longer, it was fashionable for young men to keep theirs short. Caruso also became an occupational name for sulfur pit workers in the Girgenti region of Sicily because their job required short hair.
Behind the scenes
- The name of this character is a tribute to Luca Caruso, the son of Miraphora Mina, a graphic artist who worked on all eight Harry Potter films.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Name appears on list)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ They must have been at least a first year in the 1995-1996 school year.
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling
- ↑ In the film adptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix , he partcipated at D.A. meetings
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Receipt on index page of Harry Potter Film Wizardry
- ↑ Harry Potter: The Exhibition report from ThePensieve.org
- ↑ "Luca (1)" on Behind the Name
- ↑ "Luke" on Behind the Name
- ↑ "Lucania" on Wikipedia
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 "Caruso" on Ancestry.com
- ↑ Rick Gerardy, Talks with Emanuel Hurwitz: 82 Years with the Violi, Page 109