|Notable family members|
Longbottom is the surname of a pure-blood wizarding family, and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. They are related to the Black and Abbott families, and more distantly to the Weasley , Crouch and Potter families.
Most Longbottoms do not appear to hold prejudice based on blood purity, although there are indications that they are considered more respectable than the Weasleys. For example, Callidora Black was not disowned by her family for marrying Harfang Longbottom, implying that he was not considered a blood traitor. Their respectability may also stem from both Frank and Alice's popularity as highly accomplished Aurors. The last few generations of the Longbottom family, however, had strong connections to the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's Army, clearly opposing notions of pure-blood supremacy.
- Alice Longbottom — wife of Frank Longbottom; an Auror and member of the Order of the Phoenix, mother of Neville Longbottom
- Augusta Longbottom — mother of Frank Longbottom
- Callidora Longbottom née Black — wife of Harfang Longbottom, sister of Cedrella Weasley née Black and Charis Crouch née Black
- Frank Longbottom — an Auror and member of the Order of the Phoenix, father of Neville Longbottom, son of Augusta Longbottom and husband of Alice Longbottom.
- Harfang Longbottom — a pure-blood wizard who married Callidora Black
- Hannah Longbottom née Abbott — wife of Neville Longbottom and landlady of the Leaky Cauldron
- Neville Longbottom — son of Frank and Alice Longbottom; a member of Dumbledore's Army and professor of Herbology at Hogwarts
It is unknown if Neville Longbottom and Hannah Longbottom née Abbott have any children by 2017.
|Black family||(relation unsure)||Unidentified||Augusta Longbottom|
|Callidora Black||Harfang Longbottom||Alice Longbottom||Frank Longbottom|
|Unidentified||Unidentified||Neville Longbottom||Hannah Abbott|
- Algie — a great-uncle of Neville Longbottom
- Enid — a great-aunt of Neville Longbottom She could also be the wife of Neville's great-uncle Algie.
- Neville's grandfather — either Frank Longbottom's father or father-in-law
- Longbottom, in addition to being a compound word, means "long valley". It is also the name of a region of the Shire and used for describing a leaf of pipe-weeds in J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.
- The name itself is considered quite humorous, but "bottom" is an old word for "staying power." This seems to accurately fit Neville's personality and overall devotion to Harry.
Notes and references
- ↑ Horace Slughorn claimed that all Blacks were Sorted into Slytherin, but it´s unknown if this included spouses.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Black family tree
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ "News Article" from MuggleNet
- ↑ It is unknown exactly how Algie is related to the Longbottoms; he could be an uncle by blood or by marriage of either Frank or Alice Longbottom.
- ↑ It is unknown exactly how Enid is related to the Longbottoms; she could be an aunt by blood or by marriage of either Frank or Alice Longbottom.