|Notable family members|
Longbottom is the surname of a pure-blood wizarding family, and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. They are related to the Black and Abbott families, and more distantly to the Weasley, Crouch and Potter families.
Most Longbottoms do not appear to hold prejudice based on blood purity, although there are indications that they are considered more respectable than the Weasleys. For example, Callidora Black was not disowned by her family for marrying Harfang Longbottom, implying that he was not considered a blood traitor. Their respectability may also stem from both Frank and Alice's popularity as accomplished Aurors. The last few generations of the Longbottom family, however, had strong connections to the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's Army, clearly opposing notions of pure-blood supremacy.
Recent family history
Frank and Alice Longbottom are the parents of Neville Longbottom. They were both Aurors and members of the original Order of the Phoenix during the First Wizarding War before they were tortured to insanity by Bellatrix, Rodolphus, and Rabastan Lestrange; and Bartemius Crouch Jr.. The Longbottoms were placed in the Janus Thickey Ward for spell damage at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, where they stayed permanently. As a result their son Neville was raised by his grandmother, Augusta Longbottom.
Throughout his school years, Neville was mostly a shy, clumsy, introverted boy who was constantly being told by his grandmother that he was not good enough or living up to his parents' accomplishments. He and his grandmother would frequently visit his parents in the spell damage ward at St. Mungo's. However, in his later years, he showed that he possessed great courage and perseverance: he became an important member of Dumbledore's Army, an organisation taught and led by Harry Potter. Neville would later fight in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, and the Battle of Hogwarts. During the Battle of Hogwarts, having refused Lord Voldemort's invitation to join the Death Eaters, he destroyed the seventh and final Horcrux when he beheaded the snake Nagini. He also co-led the D.A. during his final year in opposition to the Death Eater professors.
After the end of the Second Wizarding War, Neville briefly served as an Auror before becoming Hogwarts' professor of Herbology and marrying Hannah Abbott. It is currently unknown if the two ever had any children.
Recent family members
- Harfang Longbottom - a pure-blood wizard who married Callidora Black
- Callidora Longbottom (née Black) - wife of Harfang Longbottom, sister of Cedrella Weasley (née Black) and Charis Crouch (née Black)
- Augusta Longbottom - mother of Frank Longbottom
- Frank Longbottom - an Auror and member of the Order of the Phoenix, father of Neville Longbottom, son of Augusta Longbottom and husband of Alice Longbottom.
- Alice Longbottom - wife of Frank Longbottom; an Auror and member of the Order of the Phoenix, mother of Neville Longbottom
- Neville Longbottom - son of Frank and Alice Longbottom; a member of Dumbledore's Army and professor of Herbology at Hogwarts
- Hannah Longbottom (née Abbott) - wife of Neville Longbottom and landlady of the Leaky Cauldron
It is unknown if Neville Longbottom and Hannah Longbottom née Abbott have any children by 2017.
- Algie - a great-uncle of Neville Longbottom
- Enid - a great-aunt of Neville Longbottom She could also be the wife of Neville's great-uncle Algie.
- Neville's grandfather - either Frank Longbottom's father or father-in-law
|Black family||(relation unsure)||Unidentified||Augusta Longbottom|
|Callidora Black||Harfang Longbottom||Alice Longbottom||Frank Longbottom|
|Unidentified||Unidentified||Neville Longbottom||Hannah Abbott|
- Longbottom, in addition to being a compound word, means "long valley".
- The name itself is considered quite humorous, but "bottom" is an old word for "staying power." This seems to accurately fit Neville's personality and overall devotion to Harry Potter.
Notes and references
- ↑ Horace Slughorn claimed that all Blacks were Sorted into Slytherin, but it´s unknown if this included spouses.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Black family tree
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ "Harfang" at Wiktionary
- ↑ "News Article" from MuggleNet
- ↑ It is unknown exactly how Algie is related to the Longbottoms; he could be an uncle by blood or by marriage of either Frank or Alice Longbottom.
- ↑ It is unknown exactly how Enid is related to the Longbottoms; she could be an aunt by blood or by marriage of either Frank or Alice Longbottom.