- Ron: "You don't know where the other talking gargoyles are, do you?"
- Gargoyle: "Haven't seen another gargoyle since the one on that plinth disappeared."
- Hermione: "What happened to it?"
- Gargoyle: "About a year ago some boy flew through here being chased by a dragon - it knocked my friend right over the edge."
- Harry: "Er..."
- Gargoyle: "Come back and talk to me sometime won't you? This is a great place for a picnic. Come around any time!"
- Hermione: "It wasn't your fault, Harry."
- Ron: "Do you think they're all that mental?"
- — Finding one of the five talking gargoyles[src]
The Lonely Male Gargoyle is one of the talking gargoyles in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is located at one end of the Viaduct of the castle, near the Entrance Courtyard. Until 1994, another gargoyle sat on a plinth facing it, but it was knocked over the side of the wall by a Hungarian Horntail during the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament. Ever since, the gargoyle has longed for some company.
During the 1995–1996 school year, Professor Binns assigned his Fifth year students the task of listing five talking gargoyles as a homework assignment. Harry Potter located the gargoyles as a favour to Dean Thomas so that he could attend the first meeting of Dumbledore's Army in the Room of Requirement.
Like the others, casting Incendio on the gargoyle would cause it to breathe fire.
Behind the scenes
- The gargoyle was voiced by Jonathan Hansler in the video game version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- The gargoyle's name was identified during the game's credits.
- Other conversations with the gargoyle:
- "Could you ask the birds to go somewhere else, please? I've tried asking them but their reply was rather... messy."
- —Conversation 2[src]
- "People ask me what it's like being a gargoyle... well, to be honest, most of the time you have a very cold bottom."
- —Conversation 3[src]
- "Do your friends like the outdoors? Because they're welcome to come and visit here any time. They could bring their friends too. We could have a party!"
- —Conversation 4[src]
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (First appearance)