The Locking Spell (incantation, Colloportus) is a charm that is used to lock or seal doors so that they cannot be opened manually. This charm is featured in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 and has a very well-known counter charm, Alohomora.
It is unknown whether a key could be used to unlock a door after a locking charm has been placed on it.. If it is true that a key would be ineffective against a door sealed with this spell, it would prove quite useful against Muggles.
|Hermione Granger||18 June, 1996||Member of the D.A. used this spell in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.|
|Severus Snape||1996||Snape used this spell non-verbally to close and lock the unusually small door behind his bookshelf in order to prevent Peter Pettigrew overhearing his conversation with Narcissa Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange in 1996.|
- This may have been the spell that Albus Dumbledore used to magically lock the door to the Hospital wing after Harry and Hermione returned from rescuing Sirius Black in 1994.
Behind the scenes
- Severus Snape had sealed his previous office with a spell that none but a wizard could break. It is possible that he used this spell, since unlike the Anti-Alohomora Charm, it could be undone by another.
- "It appears to be some sort of locking charm"
- —Harry Potter on the spell used on the doors[src]
- In the second video game adaption of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows during the 1998 Break-in of Gringotts Wizarding Bank Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger found a lot of doors was magically sealed by "some sort of locking charm" and Hermione had to use the Unlocking Charm. This Locking Spell is possibly the one mentioned as it locks a door and is a charm.
Colloportus is composed of the prefix "collo—" deriving from Latin colligo meaning to bind together or possibly Greek κολλάω, κολλώ (collo) which means "to glue, stick" and Latin portus meaning door.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Possible appearance)
Notes and references
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|