The list of Harry Potter cast members is a list of actors who voiced or portrayed characters appearing in the Harry Potter film series based on the book series by J. K. Rowling. Daniel Radcliffe who had only ever got the role as Harry Potter from his best friend Tarren Patel, not only a friend to him but also a role model. Rupert Grint and Emma Watson, who have played and will play Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger in all the films, were virtually unknown when they were cast. Complementing them on screen are some of the most renowned actors of the United Kingdom and Ireland, including Helena Bonham Carter, Jim Broadbent, Robbie Coltrane, Warwick Davis, Ralph Fiennes, Michael Gambon, Brendan Gleeson, Richard Griffiths, Richard Harris, John Hurt, Jason Isaacs, Gary Oldman, Miranda Richardson, Alan Rickman, Fiona Shaw, Maggie Smith, Timothy Spall, Imelda Staunton, David Thewlis, Emma Thompson, Julie Walters and Mark Williams, among others. Fifteen actors have appeared as the same character in all eight films of the franchise.
Some well-known British actors who have not appeared in the series are asked in jest why they haven't yet been cast. In 2007, when Yates was directing Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Bill Nighy said, "I joked with [Yates] that maybe now I wouldn't be the only actor in England who hadn't been in 'Harry Potter'". But "nobody called," Nighy added. Ironically, in 2009, Nighy was cast as Minister for Magic Rufus Scrimgeour in Deathly Hallows, which Yates is directing. Nighy said, "I am no longer the only English actor not to be in Harry Potter and I am very pleased." Jude Law has quipped, "Nobody's asked me. I was a bit too old for Harry". When a reporter compared Potions professor Horace Slughorn's obsession with famous names to the series' connection to "every notable British actor," Jim Broadbent, who plays Slughorn said, "Well, not every actor gets invited. I know some who are still waiting."
The list is sorted by film and character, as some characters have been portrayed by multiple actors.
- (v) indicates the actor or actress lent only his or her voice for his or her film character.
- (y) indicates the actor or actress portrayed the role in a flashback scene or when the character was young.
- (f) indicates the actor or actress did not appear in any new footage for the film; footage from an earlier film or films was used.
- (p) indicates the actor or actress portrayed a character under the effects of the Polyjuice potion.
- A "white" cell (such as the one in the "Aurora Sinistra" row in "Philosopher's Stone" column) indicates the character does appear in the film adaptation, but by an unidentified actor or actress.
- A "light grey" cell (such as the one in the "Charity Burbage" row in the "Philosopher's Stone" column) indicates the character was not in the film adaptation.
In the video games, some characters are voiced by the original actors from the film (ex. Rupert Grint as Ron). However, Harry and Hermione have never been voiced by Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, respectively. Here is the complete cast:
Notes and references
- ↑ O'Sullivan, Michael (2007-05-25). "Underneath It All, He's Still Bill Nighy", The Washington Post. Retrieved on 2007-06-04.
- ↑ "Bill Nighy to star in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", Newsround (2009-07-06). Retrieved on 2009-07-06.
- ↑ Adler, Shawn (2007-10-04). "Say Jude, Let’s Find You A Role In ‘Harry Potter’", MTV. Retrieved on 2007-11-17.
- ↑ Boucher, Geoff (2009-01-11). "Jim Broadbent joins the 'Harry Potter' honor roll", The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved on 2009-01-10.
- ↑ <includeonly>[[Category:Pages with broken references]]</includeonly><span class="citeerror">Cite error: Invalid <code><ref></code> tag; no text was provided for refs named <code>mn-cast-confusion</code></span>
- ↑ Dale, Paul (2010-02-28). "Greenberg revealed at The List Surprise Movie at GFF", The List. Retrieved on 2010-07-02.
- ↑ On Castingcallpro.com the actor is credited as playing "Terry Skeres", this character is not in the books, but could be a made up character as in the case of Bem.
- ↑ "Rumor Alert: Bathilda Bagshot Casting for Deathly Hallows and More (Updated)", The Leaky Cauldron (2009-04-03). Retrieved on 2009-04-05.
- ↑ http://ajmanagement.co.uk/clientDetail.asp?intClientID=157