Lima was the surname of a wizarding family. It is unknown if they were pure-blood, or had both Muggle and magical heritage. Their name suggests they were from a Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking country.
Known family members
- E. Lima — a wizarding duellist
- Eduardo Lima — a wizard whom the Ministry of Magic kept tabs on during the Death Eater regime
- Eduardo Lima Filho — a Ministry of Magic employee
- Eduardus Lima — a reporter for the Daily Prophet
- Edwardus Lima — author of The Monster Book of Monsters
- Mina Lima — a witch mentioned in an issue of the Quibbler
Lima is a Portuguese habitational surname for a person who lives along the Limia River (called Lima in Portuguese), which runs through Spain into Portugal, and was believed by the ancient Romans to be the mythical Lethe. As a Spanish surname, Lima is of uncertain origin, but may derive from lima, "file."
Lima is also the capital city of Peru. Its name derives from limaq ("talker" in coastal Quechua), an oracle that was located in the city's area from some point before the 15th century, and was eventually destroyed by the Spanish.
Behind the scenes
- Each member of this family is a reference to Eduardo Lima, a graphic designer who has worked on every Harry Potter film since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.