Some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and, as such, spoilers will be present.
The Hogwarts librarian is an individual employed by Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to monitor the library and watch over and protect books. There was also a desk situated in the center of the library reserved for the librarian. Some disciplinary powers came with the job, as the occupant of this position can award and dock house points.
The Hogwarts librarian has many duties, including:
- Monitoring the Library.
- Prepare and manage the library budgets.
- Keep the library organised, clean and neat.
- Classify and catalogue library books in order to properly making them ready for checkout.
- Assisting students and staff members in finding the desired reading material.
- Helping students in academical research by assisting them in identifying, locating and interpret information.
- Check the authenticity of written permissions from the faculty before students can enter the Restricted Section.
- Maintain circulation files, statistics, inventories and records of which books are in the library at any given time and where in the library they can be found.
- Establish, implement and enforce general library rules and regulations which reflects the educational aims and objectives of the whole school.
- Keeping track of which books have been lent out and by whom, and ensure that the deadline given to the students for the return of a library book is followed.
- Select, purchase and catalogue new materials for the library and assure a balanced collection which offers diverse points of view on magical studies to ensure learning efficiency.
- Work with teaching staff to take a strategic approach to cultivating a love of reading in students.
- Making sure all students have left the library by 8:00 pm, at which time the library closes.
- Oversee the Study Hall.
- To undertake any other reasonable duty at the request of the Headmaster/Headmistress of Hogwarts.
Known Hogwarts librarians
Behind the scenes
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC and GBA versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC and PS2 versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Appears in alternate reality)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Appears in alternate reality)
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ In 1986, Madam Pince gave Jacob's sibling twenty house points for helping to keep the memories of James and Lily Potter alive by reminding his peers of the atrocities against them by Lord Voldemort.
- ↑ https://www.pottermore.com/news/what-wizarding-world-jobs-would-the-harry-potter-cast-members-have