Some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and, as such, spoilers will be present.
|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains of a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
The Hogwarts librarian has many duties, including:
- Monitoring the Library.
- Prepare and manage the library budgets.
- Keep the library organised, clean and neat.
- Classify and catalogue library books in order to properly making them ready for checkout, and to assist students and staff members in finding the desired reading material.
- Helping students in academical research by assisting them in identifying, locating and interpret information.
- Check the authenticity of written permissions from the faculty before students can enter the Restricted Section.
- Maintain circulation files, statistics, inventories and records of which books are in the library at any given time and where in the library they can be found.
- Establish, implement and enforce general library rules and regulations which reflects the educational aims and objectives of the whole school.
- Keeping track of which books have been lent out and by whom, and ensure that the deadline given to the students for the return of a library book is followed.
- Select, purchase and catalogue new materials for the library and assure a balanced collection which offers diverse points of view on magical studies to ensure learning efficiency.
- Work with teaching staff to take a strategic approach to cultivating a love of reading in students.
- Making sure all students have left the library by 8:00 pm, at which time the library closes.
- Oversee the Study Hall.
- To undertake any other reasonable duty at the request of the Headmaster/Headmistress of Hogwarts.
Known Hogwarts librarians
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC and GBA versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC and PS2 versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Appears in alternate reality)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Appears in alternate reality)
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game