Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Lia Wyler (née Lia Carneiro da Cunha Alverga Wyler) is a well-known Brazilian translator of the Harry Potter series. J. K. Rowling once honoured her for translating Character's names to Portuguese and creating original versions of names such as "Quadribol" (Quidditch), "Trouxas" (Muggles), "Tom Servolo Riddle" (Tom Marvolo Riddle) and the names of the four houses of Hogwarts: "Sonserina" (Slytherin), "Grifinória" (Gryffindor), "Lufa-Lufa" (Hufflepuff), and "Corvinal" (Ravenclaw).
Wyler has been translating books since 1969. She has translated books from Henry Miller, Joyce Carol Oates, Margaret Atwood, Stephen King, and various others. She graduated in Literature at PUC-Rio and received her Masters in Communications at Eco-UFRJ, where she defended the thesis entitled "Translation in Brazil". Lia was the president of the National Union of Translators from 1991 to 1993.
Wyler's translated version of Harry Potter titles and their literal translations are:
- Harry Potter e a Pedra Filosofal - "Harry Potter and the Philosophical Stone" (actual translation of "Philosopher's Stone", a real historical item)
- Harry Potter e a Câmara Secreta - "Harry Potter and the Secret Chamber"
- Harry Potter e o Prisioneiro de Azkaban - "Harry Potter and the Prisioner of Azkaban" (unaltered)
- Harry Potter e o Cálice de Fogo - "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (unaltered)
- Harry Potter e a Ordem da Fênix - "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (unaltered)
- Harry Potter e o Enigma do Príncipe - "Harry Potter and the Enigma of the Prince"
- Harry Potter e as Relíquias da Morte - "Harry Potter and the Relics of Death"
And the additional spin-offs:
- Animais Fantásticos e Onde Habitam - "Fantastic Animals and Where They Inhabit"
- Quadribol Através dos Séculos - "Quidditch Through the Centuries"
- Os Contos the Beedle, o Bardo - "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" (unaltered)
- Harry Potter in translation
- Translations of locations
- List of characters in translations of Harry Potter
- List of wizarding terms in translations of Harry Potter
- List of titles of Harry Potter books in other languages