Levicorpus is the incantation of a jinx which was apparently invented by Professor Severus Snape under the pseudonym "The Half-Blood Prince". The spell, which was intended to be cast nonverbally but which can be spoken aloud, causes the victim to be hoisted into the air by their ankle; the counter-jinx for this spell is Liberacorpus.
Behind the scenes
- The effect of this spell may be a reference to the Hanged Man, a Tarot card that depicts a saint-like figure being hung upside down from his ankle.
- In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film), this is a verbal spell taught to Dumbledore's Army; it is used to lift people in this medium. Luna Lovegood uses it on a Death Eater in the Ministry of Magic; however this time it blows away the person.
- It is unclear when this jinx was invented, as James Potter knew it in his fifth year, whereas it was noted in Snape's NEWT-level textbook.
- This brings into question the argument of whether Snape invented it or not. It is possible he simply learned it in his fifth year and then recorded it in his textbook for future use, and did not invent it at all.
- In Harry Potter for Kinect Voldemort can use this spell against Dumbledore in the final Duel in the Ministry Atrium as they engage in a normal duel.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First identified as Levicorpus)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Indirectly mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS/PSP versions)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (DS version)
- Harry Potter for Kinect
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Chapter 12 - Silver and Opals)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Chapter 24 - Sectumsempra)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 9 (The Dark Mark)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Hermione noted "We've seen a whole bunch of people use it, in case you've forgotten. Dangling people in the air. Making them float along, asleep, helpless." Harry stared at her. With a sinking feeling, he too remembered the behaviour of the Death Eaters at the Quidditch World Cup.