|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
The Legilimency Spell (Legilimens) allows the caster to perform Legilimency; in other words, to delve into the mind of the victim, permitting the caster to see memories, emotions and thoughts. Skilled Legilimens, such as Lord Voldemort, are able to perform Legilimency without using the incantation or a wand.
History of use
Professor Snape used this spell on Harry Potter while attempting to train him in Occlumency in the 1995–1996 school year. He also used it nonverbally and wandlessly in 1997 to find out where Harry learned the Sectumsempra spell.
Voldemort has used this spell extensively, both wandlessly and nonverbally, to enter the minds of those he wished to interrogate. Due to the link between himself and Harry, both can access each other's thoughts if Voldemort does not block it off with Occlumency.
Behind the scenes
- As Bellatrix Lestrange taught her nephew Draco Malfoy Occlumency, it is likely she also used this spell to achieve the same method as Snape did Harry.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, the spell Focus is used in the place of "Legilimens". It is unknown why this change was made, as they both have the same effect. However Focus is only used to clear the mind. In the film Snape says that Harry has to clear his mind. It is possible that in LEGO, this spell was used before Legilimens.
Latin legere, "to read", and mens, "mind".
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7