- "Well, that's why we were arguing. She came back from the bathroom in the Three Broomsticks holding it, said it was a surprise for somebody at Hogwarts and she had to deliver it. She looked all funny when she said it.... Oh no, oh no, I bet she'd been Imperiused and I didn't realize! "
- —Leanne on why she and Katie Bell were arguing[src]
Leanne was born in or around 1980 in Great Britain or Ireland.
Hogwarts years (1991-1998)
Leanne started her magical education at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1991 and was Sorted into Hufflepuff House. Her Head of House was the Herbology Professor, Pomona Sprout. Despite being in separate Houses, she became good friends with Gryffindor student Katie Bell. It is unknown if Leanne joined Dumbledore's Army in 1995, as Katie did, but she joined the group in late 1997, when Neville Longbottom assumed the group.
- "I tried to stop her, but she wouldn't listen!"
- —A distressed Leanne telling the trio what happened[src]
In her sixth year, she and Katie went on a weekend trip to Hogsmeade, and they stopped off for a drink in the Three Broomsticks Inn. Katie excused herself and went to the lavatory whilst Leanne sat alone in the pub. After some time she was spotted by Harry Potter sitting tapping her glass anxiously awaiting Katie's return. Finally, when she and Katie were returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry after their visit to Hogsmeade, she and Katie got in an argument over a package that Katie had been given to take to the castle, Leanne did not want Katie to take it, as its origins were unknown. The argument caused the girls to fight over the package and Katie to accidentally touch the cursed opal necklace that was given to her by Madam Rosmerta, who was under the Imperius Curse at the time, when the package's wrapping tore.
Leanne was very distraught when Katie was put under the curse, trying to pull her down from the sky in which she floated above from and was seen crying. Harry, Ron and Hermione got to the scene and, with the help of Rubeus Hagrid, they got back to Hogwarts with Katie. When they got back inside the castle, Leanne broke down crying when telling Professor McGonagall what happened and was sent to Madam Pomfrey for calming down. After Katie has been healed and returned to Hogwarts, Leanne was present with her when Katie told Harry she did not know who gave her the package.
Seventh year and Battle of Hogwarts
- "Well, it’s not really like Hogwarts any more,"
- —Neville Longbottom speaking of the school under the reign of Snape[src]
In Leanne's seventh and final year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry her education would take a turn for the worst. With the former headmaster Albus Dumbledore dead, Severus Snape took to the position of head and employed Death Eaters, Amycus Carrow and Alecto Carrow as new members of his staff. Any resistance against the war and defiance against their teaching methods had the student brutally punished, as demonstrated numerous times with pupil Longbottom, the leader of the reformed Dumbledore's Army, group that she eventually joined in that year.
Late into the academic year,the climax of the Second Wizarding War broke out and the Battle of Hogwarts took place. Leanne was present during this battle, and was seen fighting Dementors at one point. During the first part of the battle she was also seen fighting along side: Aberforth Dumbledore, Ginny Weasley, Padma Patil, Romilda Vane, Seamus Finnigan, and Katie Bell. She survived the battle and was later seen sitting in the Great Hall with Katie, Padma, and Cho Chang.
Behind the scenes
- Leanne is portrayed by Isabella Laughland in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Based on screenshots from the film, she is a Hufflepuff in Harry's year, although neither her house nor age is revealed in the book. She reprised her role in both parts of the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- In the book, it is possible that she was a Gryffindor in Katie Bell's year, since Katie's line about Leanne having "just [been] telling [her] about McLaggen and the last match" can be read as to mean Leanne was one of Katie's seventh-year friends in the Gryffindor Tower, in that scene.
- In the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Leanne has blonde hair during play mode, but during a cut scene mode she has brown, like in the film.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Leanne can be briefly seen on the Hogwarts Express sitting next to Romilda Vane, Lavender Brown, and Cormac McLaggen.
- In the film Leanne is shown to be a member of the Dumbledore's Army in late 1997.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, Katie Bell's cursing is omitted and due to this, Leanne is absent from all the consoles versions of the game. However, Leanne is playable in the portable versions including the Nintendo DS and 3DS.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (DS Version)
- Harry Potter and Me
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- ↑ "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000
- ↑ As Leanne wasn't imprisoned in 1997, it is possible that she isn't muggle-born.
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ CBBC Newsround reveals new Half-Blood Prince casting
- ↑ Isabella Laughland at IMDb