At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Knotgrass was a plant with magical proprieties. It was used in Potion-making, and was an essential ingredient in the making of the Polyjuice Potion, as well as in the brewing of the alcoholic beverage Knotgrass Mead.
Knotgrass could be found growing in the Forbidden Forest. Harry Potter and Hermione Granger struggled through a patch of it on their way back from their first meeting with Grawp, just before they and Hagrid were approached by the centaurs.
Behind the scenes
- Knotgrass may refer to several species of the Polygonum genus found in England and Europe. It is most likely Polygonum aviculare, which was believed to halt the growth of animals, and was mentioned as such in the works of William Shakespeare.
- The use of knotgrass in the Polyjuice Potion was chosen by J. K. Rowling to represent "being tied to another person".
- In the GBA version of Chamber of Secrets, this is instead received from a Venomous Tentacula.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned only)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Mentioned on a bottle)
- The Road to Hogwarts Sweepstakes
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 10
- ↑ Label Collection book included with the Harry Potter Wizard's Collection (see this image)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (see this image)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 30
- ↑ Maud Grieve, A Modern Herbal, Dover Publications (1976)
- ↑ Pottermore - The Polyjuice Potion - J.K. Rowling's Thoughts