- "From Red Caps they moved on to Kappas, creepy water-dwellers that looked like scaly monkeys, with webbed hands itching to strangle unwitting waders in their ponds."
- —The D.A.D.A. curriculum, including Kappas.[src]
Kappas feed on the blood of humans, strangling anyone unlucky enough to wade into their ponds or rivers.
Behind the scenes
- "Kappa" is also Japanese for "cucumber". This ties in with the Japanese legend that a kappa can be appeased by a gift of a cucumber.
- Concept art of the Kappa was created for the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. However, the beast was cut from the film.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Cut from the film)
Notes and references
Magical Creatures by classification