- "From Red Caps they moved on to Kappas, creepy water-dwellers that looked like scaly monkeys, with webbed hands itching to strangle unwitting waders in their ponds."
- —The D.A.D.A. curriculum, including Kappas.[src]
Kappas feed on the blood of humans, strangling anyone unlucky enough to wade into their ponds or rivers.
Behind the scenes
"Kappa" is also Japanese for "cucumber". This ties in with the Japanese legend that a kappa can be appeased by a gift of a cucumber.
Concept art of the Kappa was created for the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. However, the beast was cut from the film.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Cut from the film)
Notes and references