Water-filled hollow on top of head
|Ministry of Magic Classification||
- "From Red Caps they moved on to Kappas, creepy water-dwellers that looked like scaly monkeys, with webbed hands itching to strangle unwitting waders in their ponds."
- —The D.A.D.A. curriculum, including Kappas.[src]
Kappas feed on the blood of humans, strangling anyone unlucky enough to wade into their ponds or rivers.
One can protect themself from a Kappa can appease the creature by throwing a cucumber inscribed with that person's name; however, if they can trick it into bowing, the water in its head will spill out, weakening it.
The Kappa resembles a scale-covered monkey with webbed hands and a water-filled depression atop its head. The water in this hollow is the source of the creature's strength.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (real)
Notes and references