Born in Assam, India, she was a pop icon of the "swinging London" era of the 1960s. She made her feature film debut in The Fast Lady, a 1962 romantic comedy. She also appeared in critically acclaimed films such as Doctor Zhivago (1965), Darling (1965), for which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress, and Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now with Donald Sutherland. She was also considered for the role of Honey Ryder in Dr. No, the first James Bond film; she was eventually passed over in favour of Ursula Andress.
In 1996, she appeared as Gertrude in Kenneth Branagh's film adaption of Hamlet.
Forty-two years after her Academy Award and BAFTA, Julie won the Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Award for her performance in Away from Her.
- Hello Darkness (2011): Rachel
- Red Riding Hood (2011): Red's Grandmother
- Glorious 39 (2009): Aunt Elizabeth
- New York, I Love You (2009): Isabelle
- Away From Her (2006): Fiona Anderson
- The Secret Life of Words (2005): Inge
- Finding Neverland (2004): Mrs. Emma du Maurier
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004): Madam Rosmerta
- Troy (2004): Thetis
- I'm With Lucy (2002): Dori
- No Such Thing (2001): Dr. Anna
- The Miracle Maker (2000): Voice of Rachel
- Afterglow (1997): Phyllis Mann
- Hamlet (1996): Gertrude
- DragonHeart (1996): Queen Aislinn
- The Gold Diggers (1983): Ruby
- Heaven Can Wait (1978): Betty Logan
- Fahrenheit 451 (1966): Clarisse / Linda Montag
- Doctor Zhivago (1965): Lara
Notes and references
- ↑ Internet Movie Database biography page
- ↑ Lisanti, Tom; Paul, Louis (2002). Film Fatales: women in espionage films and television, 1962–1973, pg. 36.