At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
John Christopher "Johnny" Depp II is an American actor, producer, and musician.
News of Depp's casting has provoked many negative reactions within the Harry Potter fandom, some citing the the alleged physical and emotional abuse of his ex-wife Amber Heard, and/or a dislike for his recent roles.
Melissa Anelli of The Leaky Cauldron website and The Harry Potter Alliance theorised the leak was intentional to test fans' reactions, given the disconnect between casting an alleged perpetrator of domestic violence and the core values of the Harry Potter series, but expressed hope that the Harry Potter franchise will again do what is right in the end.
David Heyman stated in an interview with Snitchseeker that Depp was cast before the abuse allegations. He went on to say that "clearly any form of abuse is unacceptable. It's so central to all of Jo's writing. But I don't think any of us know what happened in that room. What I can tell you is that he's a wonderful actor, he was a pleasure to deal with, he's been a pleasure to deal with on all aspects of Fantastic Beasts and speaking to people who have worked with him in the past, people who have known him, gone out with him, even been married to him, they speak of him in glowing terms. I have no idea what happened in that room and I don't think it's fair for me or us to judge. What I do agree is that any abuse is unacceptable." When asked if they intended to continue moving forward with Depp in the franchise, Heyman responded "Absolutely".
David Yates addressed the casting in an interview with The Leaky Cauldron, saying "the whole principal of casting the movie was go with the best actor. Go for the most inspired, interesting, right fit for that character. And as we approached Grindelwald we thought, ‘who’s going to take this in an interesting direction?’ In this business, it’s a weird old business. You’re brilliant one week, people are saying odd things the next, you go up and down. But no one takes away your pure talent."
"Johnny Depp is a real artist. He’s created several characters who have really resonated in our popular culture. He’s a really brilliant, brilliant actor. We were excited about seeing what he would do with this guy, the character. He’s fearless; he’s imaginative; he’s ambitious. We thought he would do something fun and special. So we went for him, purely on that selfish basis. We don’t care if he’s famous or not famous. We just know he’s interesting."
Behind the scenes
- Grindelwald has appeared in a promotional featurette for the upcoming film version of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, attacking a group of wizards. On the premiere of Alice Through the Looking Glass in May 2016, Johnny Depp was noted to have sported an unusual undercut and, when asked to comment, said "I cut it for a little part I did in a film".
Notes and references
- ↑ Imdb - Johnny Depp
- ↑ "Johnny Depp Joins J.K. Rowling’s ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Sequel — And May Even Be In The First Film" at ETCanada.com
- ↑ ‘Fantastic Beasts 2’: Johnny Depp Confirmed as Grindelwald; Setting Revealed
- ↑ Mashable - Fans aren’t feeling too fantastic about Johnny Depp in ‘Fantastic Beasts’
- ↑ The Establishment - Johnny Depp’s Entry Into The World Of Harry Potter Is A Disgrace
- ↑ Buzzfeed - Harry Potter Fans Are Livid Over Johnny Depp’s Casting In “Fantastic Beasts”
- ↑ Medium - The Johnny Depp Grindelwald “leak”
- ↑ David Heyman comments on Johnny Depp's Fantastic Beasts casting & controversy
- ↑ Davids Yates and Heyman Spill Fantastic Beasts Secrets: Paris, Dumbledore, Depp, Credence and more!
- ↑ JK Rowling addresses Johnny Depp casting in Fantastic Beasts for first time
- ↑ "Johnny Depp Debuts Bold New Haircut, Gushes About Daughter Lily-Rose's Chanel Modeling: 'She's Killing It'" at Entertainment Tonight Online