|"We must've been through hundreds of books already and we can't find him anywhere —"|
A Jinx is one of the seven known spell types, affiliated with dark magic and distinguished by their negative effects used mostly for the amusement of observers and the minor discomfort of the victim. They can also be used in a defensive capacity, and hence students of Defence Against the Dark Artsmay learn some a lot of them. Jinx effects can be removed by a Counter-jinx, and they can be prevented by an Anti-Jinx.
List of Jinxes
- sexy jinx
- Knockback Jinx (Flipendo)
- Revulsion Jinx (Relashio)
- Unidentified yellow pus-secreting spell (possibly)
Behind the scenes
- J.K. Rowling defined jinxes as "spells whose effects are irritating but amusing."
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows