The Jelly-Legs Curse, also known as the Jelly-Legs Jinx (Locomotor Wibbly) is a spell that causes the victim's legs to collapse. This curse is covered in Curses and Counter-Curses by Professor Vindictus Viridian.
|Hermione Granger||June 1995||Hermione used this spell on Harry Potter while he was practising the Shield Charm for the Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament.|
|George Weasley||Crabbe was hit with this jinx, in combination with Furnunculus, by Harry and George Weasley, causing little tentacles to sprout all over his face.|
|Nymphadora Tonks||1987||Tonks learned this spell as a young girl, and taught it to Jacob's sibling.|
|Jacob's sibling||Jacob's sibling was taught this spell by Tonks, as thanks for helping her avoid detention.|
Behind the scenes
- The Jelly-Legs Jinx seems to share some similarities with Tarantallegra, although the effects as described are slightly different; Tarantallegra makes the victim's legs thrash about uncontrollably, whereas this spell makes their legs shake.
- In the GBC video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, this spell is used to immobilise the opponent until they are hit with another spell.
- When asked whether anything in the series reflects any of her childhood fantasies, author J. K. Rowling says, "...who wouldn't want to be able to use the Jelly-Legs Curse?". This seemingly confirms that it is a curse, rather than a jinx.
- There have been various mistranslations of this spell's name, such as "Jell-O Legs", "Jam Legs", "Broken Legs" and "Twisted Limping Legs", in the Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese versions of the books
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Name only)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Jelly-Legs Jinx practise screen on Pottermore (see this image)
- ↑ Jelly-Legs Curse described on Pottermore (see this image)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery Year 4, The Trouble with Tonks
- ↑ Scholastic interview with J. K. Rowling
- ↑ Mistranslations: Jelly-Legs
|Spells included in the book: Full Body-Bind Curse · Leg-Locker Curse · Jelly-Legs Curse · Pimple Jinx · Stickfast Hex · Tickling Hex · Tongue-Tying Curse · Hair Loss Curse|