|James Sirius Potter|
James Sirius Potter was the eldest child of Harry and Ginny Potter (née Weasley). His godparents, as well as uncle and aunt, are Ron and Hermione Weasley (née Granger). He has two younger siblings: Albus and Lily. James was named after his paternal grandfather, James Potter, and his father's godfather, Sirius Black.
In 2014, James, along with his family, attended the finale of the Quidditch World Cup in the Patagonian Desert. A few days before the match, his father introduced him and his younger brother Albus to the Bulgarian National Quidditch team Seeker , and an old associate of his father, Viktor Krum .
James was seen going to Hogwarts on 1 September, 2017 with Albus, who was just starting his first year. James, being the oldest child, had already been attending Hogwarts, but it is not specified which year he was entering. Contemporaries at school include his cousins Victoire and Rose, as well as Draco Malfoy's son Scorpius, though they are in different years.
When his family gathered to see him and his brother off at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, King's Cross Station on 1 September, 2017, James interrupted his cousin Victoire snogging Teddy Lupin, and then ran off to tell his family and other relatives. He was disappointed when they did not react strongly. At some point, James would also steal the Marauder's Map from his father's desk drawer. 
James like his younger brother, Albus, takes after their paternal family in looks. As he did not have the same almond-shaped green eyes as his father and paternal grandmother, he may have inherited his mother's bright brown eyes. James did, however, inherit his father's untidy jet black hair. He has mostly his father's and grandfather's facial features.
- "You interrupted them? You are so like Ron -"
- —Ginny to her son.[src]
James is much like his uncle, Ron Weasley, for his poor timing and knack for interfering with other people's love lives. He also seems to have inherited his sense of humour and love for mischief from his two uncles, Fred and George Weasley, and having a fondness for teasing his siblings and making mischief. He is also very much like his two namesakes, James Potter and Sirius Black, in his mischievous and trouble-making nature.
James has a very strong connection with both of his parents, even though he does not want to show it in front of other people, especially girls and friends. Still, he permitted his parents' hugs and kisses (from his mother ) before rushing off to the Hogwarts Express in 2017, and wrote to them three times a week the previous year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
James is the oldest of three children, and he enjoys teasing his younger siblings Albus and Lily. However, he is on good terms with both of them, even willing to share a room with Albus if Teddy ever decides to move in, although Harry seems to believe this would lead to disaster: whether Harry means that their arguments would destroy the house, or that Albus and James are more similar in nature and pranking, is unknown.
When James saw Teddy kissing Victoire, he ran to tell his family, but he was disappointed with their reaction. However, he shared his younger sister's and Albus's desire for Teddy to become an official member of the extended Potter-Weasley family.
- James is a Hebrew name from the name Jacob, meaning "Heel" as in Genesis narrative, Jacob was born grasping Esau's heel and later bought his birthright. This was the name of James's grandfather and the middle name of his father.
- Sirius is the meaning of "Star" as it is the brightest star seen from Earth, it is also the Dog Star from Ancient Greek Mythology as he was Orion's dog. This is the name of James's father's godfather.
- Potter is a very common surname of English origin. It traditionally refers to the occupation of making pottery. Beatrix Potter was a well-known English children's author.
- Potter's Field is the name for a burial ground for the unknown or unclaimed dead, particularly soldiers and orphans; the Potter family had many members that fit that description.
- The Potter Box is a model for making ethical decisions developed at Harvard University.
Behind the scenes
- James is portrayed in the film Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 by Will Dunn.
- James Potter II is the main character in the book James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing (and associated sequels), a non-canonical continuation of the Harry Potter series endorsed by (though not actually connected or affiliated with) J. K. Rowling.
- James was given the names of two Marauders and it is said that he stole the Marauder's Map from his father's desk drawer. It is unknown if he shared the map with his friends or siblings.
- It is also interesting to note that James teased his younger brother Albus, who was named partially after Severus Snape, just like how his paternal grandfather James Potter I teased Severus Snape. However, apart from that, they are likely close to each other.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Mentioned only)
- J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ James's age is not revealed in the epilogue of Deathly Hallows, but J. K. Rowling stated in an interview that his mother, Ginevra Weasley, spent a "few years" playing for the Holyhead Harpies, and then "retired to have her family". As Ginny graduated from Hogwarts in June 1999, and a "few years" implies at least three years, the earliest she could have retired to have James is June 2002, assuming she joined the team immediately after graduation. Depending on the length of the gestational period, the earliest James could have been born is late 2002 or early 2003. He is at least a year older than his younger brother Albus, who was born between late 2005 and mid-2006.
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K RowlingThe Potters are known British.
- ↑ http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizworld/blood-status-names.html
- ↑ Times Online - The Unwritten Story of Harry's Friends and Their Children
- ↑ Video clip of J.K. Rowling from her new documentary: J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Epilogue
- ↑ 31 July, 2007 Bloomsbury webchat
- ↑ The James Potter series