Euphemia Potter (died c. 1979) was a pure-blood witch. She was married to Fleamont Potter, with whom she had one son, James.Thus making her the paternal grandmother of the famous Harry Potter, and the great-grandmother of James Sirius, Albus Severus, and Lily Luna Potter.
Little is known about Euphemia's early life. She and her husband Fleamont did not become parents until later in their lives when she gave birth to her son James on 27 March, 1960, after having already given up hope of ever having a son or daughter. As such, James was an only child, and was doted on quite a lot.
When James's friend, Sirius Black, ran away from home at age sixteen, he found refuge in the Potter household. Euphemia and her husband came to regard Sirius as something of a second son. After Sirius moved into his own flat, he kept in touch with the Potters, and was always welcome to have lunch with them on Sundays.
Advancing in age, both Euphemia and her husband Fleamont succumbed to dragon pox shortly after the marriage of their son James to Lily Evans, in 1978-1979, dying within days of each other. Euphemia never got a chance to meet her grandson, who would only be born after his grandparents' deaths, on 31 July, 1980, but she was probably among the relatives who Harry saw when he looked into the Mirror of Erised in 1991.
Euphemia is a Greek name. "Eu" means good and "phemi" means to speak.
Behind the scenes
- It was once presumed that Charlus Potter and Dorea Black, who appeared on the Black family tree, might have been James's parents (since it was known that Charlus and Dorea also had one son). However, J. K. Rowling revealed via Pottermore that that was not the case. It is still more than likely, however, that Charlus Potter is somehow related to Fleamont.
- Euphemia Potter shares the same first name with Euphemia Rowle.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Appears in flashback(s)) (Appears in Mirror of Erised)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (First identified as Euphemia Potter)
Notes and references
- ↑ Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Potter Family": "Fleamont and Euphemia lived long enough to see James marry a Muggle-born girl called Lily Evans, but not to meet their grandson, Harry."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 16 (A Very Frosty Christmas)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Potter Family"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 16 (Godric's Hollow)
- ↑ The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet interview, 16th July 2005
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 13 (Nicolas Flamel)
- ↑ http://www.behindthename.com/name/euphemia