|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The subject of this article is of a real-life person, place, group, company, product, or creative work that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really exists), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
Italy is a country on the Mediterranean coast of Europe, consisting of a boot-shaped peninsula (the boot shape being caused by the Gulf of Taranto) and a number of islands, the largest of which are Sicily and Sardinia. Its comune of Mirto may have contained a wizarding community of note, as the Daily Prophet reported on this community's weather in its International section.
In A.D. 79, the warlock Zaccaria Innocenti cast Tarantallegra on himself and danced around inside the crater of Mount Vesuvius, a volcano located 9 kilometres (5.6 miles) east of the city of Naples. The mountain also erupted that year, destroying the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum, and killing at least 1500 people.
A sub-committee of sorcerers from the island of Sardinia did something of note in September of 1289. Professor Binns mentioned this during a lecture on the International Warlock Convention of 1289 he gave to his second-year History of Magic students in 1992.
Italian cuisine is popular around the world. There was an all-night café on Tottenham Court Road in London which served hot panini, where Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger sought refuge after fleeing the wedding of Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour in 1997.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Island of Sardinia mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned on product label) (National flag seen)
- Harry Potter Official Site (Mount Vesuvius mentioned)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Limited Edition (Mentioned on product label)
Notes and references
- ↑ "Italy" on Wikipedia
- ↑ Tarantallegra entry on the Cast-a-Spell kit found in the Library section of the Harry Potter Official Site
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Mount Vesuvius" on Wikipedia
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 9 (The Writing on the Wall)
- ↑ "Italian cuisine" on Wikipedia
- ↑ In the the film adaptation of Deathly Hallows, an Italian flag can be seen hanging inside the café, and "hot panini" is advertised on its window (see this image).
- ↑ Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films (see this image)