Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Iola Hitchens (née Black) was a pure-blood witch and the sister of Sirius, Phineas Nigellus, and Elladora Black. She married a Muggle man named Bob Hitchens, and was struck off the Black Family tree and disowned as a result. Her dates are unknown, but she was born after Elladora (1850).
Behind the scenes
- Several sources mistakenly list this character's name as "Isla Black". This seems to stem from an incorrect transcription of J.K. Rowling's handdrawn family tree by the Harry Potter Lexicon, based on observation of the original during its auction, on 20 February, 2006 (and which was, for a time, the only available source online on the matter). A scan of the document has, however, since surfaced, having been included in the book Harry Potter Film Wizardry, a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the Harry Potter film series. The scan clarified that Iola's name had been incorrectly transcribed by the Lexicon (and, indeed, the name "Iola" had already appeared on the tapestry featured in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix).
- Based on a statement by Horace Slughorn, Iola may have been a member of the Slytherin House. However, she attended Hogwarts in the 1860s, at a time when Slughorn was not even born yet.
- Iola was the second earliest known disowned person in the family. The earliest known was Eduardus Limette Black.
Iola is probably a female variant of the Ancient Greek name Iole, meaning "violet". In Greek mythology Iole was a beautiful young princess who was claimed by Heracles for a bride, but her father, King Eurytus of Oechalia, refused her hand in marriage, which seems to suit Iola Black's story of a morganatic marriage and subsequent disowning.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tapestry)
Notes and references
- ↑ Her probable father, Cygnus Black I, died in 1851. His elder daughter, Elladora, was born in 1850, meaning that the same year is the earliest Iola could be born. Depending on when Cygnus died in 1851, Iola was born in 1851 or 1852; if her father died at any point between January and February 1851, then she would have an 1851 birth, but if he died any later than February 1851 then she would have an 1852 birthdate, assuming the pregnancy was full term.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Black family tree
- ↑ J.K. Rowling's handdrawn Black family tree, retrieved from Harry Potter Film Wizardry (see this image)
- ↑ "Iola" at Behind the Name