- Irene Denholm: "Another game of Exploding Snap, Harry?"
- Harry Potter: "Not now, thanks."
- Irene Denholm: "Okay, maybe some other time, then?"
- — Harry Potter talk with Irene Denholm in the First Floor's Corridor[src]
Irene Denholm was a Hufflepuff student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the 1990s. During the 1996–1997 school year, she could often be found in the first-floor corridor, and played Exploding Snap with anyone who was willing.
The name "Irene" is from Greek Ειρηνη (Eirene), derived from a word meaning "peace". This was the name of the Greek goddess who personified peace, one of the ‘Ωραι (Horai). It was also borne by several early Christian saints. The name was common in the Byzantine Empire, notably being borne by an 8th-century empress, who was the first woman to lead the Empire. She originally served as regent for her son, but later had him killed and ruled alone.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (PS2 version only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (NDS version only)