|International Confederation of Wizards Quidditch Committee|
Overseeing the game of Quidditch internationally.
- "The ICWQC has the unlucky job of regulating this contentious and anarchic competition."
The International Confederation of Wizards Quidditch Committee (ICWQC) is an international regulatory body, subject to the International Confederation of Wizards, that oversees international Quidditch competitions, such as the World Cup. Namely, it locates suitable venues, arranges transportation for spectators, and provides policing for the games themselves. It is also the ICWQC that chooses the referees for World Cup matches.
The ICWQC was created following the implementation of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy in 1692, which made the Quidditch World Cup a security risk, as the mass congregation of so many wizards entailed exposure to Muggles. Following mass protests and threats to the International Confederation of Wizards, this committee was set up to deal with the most problematic logistical issues.
Regulations on the size and nature of national team mascots in the World Cups have long been a source of debate at the highest levels of the ICWQC. In 1995, a motion to restrict mascots to "herbivores, creatures smaller than a cow and nothing that breathes fire" was defeated by an overwhelming majority, and Quidditch supporters have been resistant to any meddling as far as team mascots are concerned.
Behind the scenes
- In Quidditch Through the Ages, the name of this committee is given as "International Confederation of Wizards' Quidditch Committee" (note the apostrophe). On Pottermore, it is given without the possessive case.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "History of the Quidditch World Cup"
- ↑ Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP FINAL" (Daily Prophet, 11 July 2014)
- ↑ Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "DISASTROUS OPENING CEREMONY LEADS TO QUESTIONS ABOUT QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP SECURITY" (Daily Prophet, 12 April 2014)
- ↑ Quidditch Through the Ages - Chapter 8 (The Spread of Quidditch Worldwide)