- "The Inner Eye does not See upon command!"
- —Professor Trelawney, scandalized by Dolores Umbridge's request that she predict something.[src]
The Inner Eye (also known as Sight) is a term of Divination, in which means the mind of the seer. Having an "inner eye" allows one to see into the future, and is a rare gift. Only Cassandra Trelawney, and her great-great-granddaughter, Sybill, are confirmed to possess it. However, Sybill's mastery with it is abysmal, as most of her prediction is considered to be "woolly" by Hermione Granger, and fraudulent by Dolores Umbridge, however, a few of her predictions proved to be true.
In Harry Potter's first Divination class, Professor Trelawney stated that she does not often leave her Tower for "descending too often into the hustle and bustle of the main school clouds my Inner Eye." Later, when Harry told Ron that "You're going to suffer, but be very happy," Ron suggested that Harry needs his Inner Eye tested.
In Harry Potter's fifth year at Hogwarts, during an inspected lesson, Hogwarts High Inquisitor Dolores Umbridge chose to end the inspection by requesting that Trelawney make a prediction. Trelawney was scandalized, replying that "The Inner Eye does not See upon command!" but then relented and made a vague prediction regarding Umbridge being in grave danger. Furthermore, Professor Trelawney claims to Dolores Umbridge that the gift of the Inner Eye often skips three generations.
Prior to joining Albus Dumbledore to hunt for the horcrux in the cave, Harry Potter encountered Professor Trelawney just outside the Room of Requirement, where she reported hearing a male voice that sounded like it was celebrating. She stated that she called "Who's there?," prompting Harry to ask if she couldn't have figured out without asking. She replied that the Inner Eye was "fixed upon matters well outside the mundane realms of whooping voices." Harry was unimpressed, having "heard about Professor Trelawney's Inner Eye all too often before."
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only) (Also mentioned as Sight)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ First known as this, in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- ↑ Hermione Granger leaves, Binky the Rabbit, owned by Lavender Brown, would die, the servant would return to his master, Dolores Umbridge was in grave danger, a boy would be born in the end of July with powers to overpower the Dark Lord. A boy whose parents escaped from Lord Voldemort three times, a Tower would be rampaged by someone, a boy was about to die, and more...