- Quirinus Quirrell used this spell non-verbally on Harry Potter in 1992, during the Attack in the Underground Chambers.
- In 1993 Severus Snape non-verbally conjured ropes to bind and gag Remus Lupin while in the Shrieking Shack.
- Remus Lupin in 1993 used this spell to bind and gag Peter Pettigrew in the Shrieking Shack, after forcing him out of his Amiagus form.
- Peter Pettigrew conjured ropes to bind Harry Potter to Tom Riddle Sr.'s gravestone in 1995.
- Dolores Umbridge conjured ropes to strangle a centaur named Magorian, during the Skirmish in the Forbidden Forest.
- Harry Potter conjured ropes which bound an Inferius in the Horcrux Cave in 1997, before the Battle of the Astronomy Tower.
- In 1997 Harry Potter used this spell to conjure ropes in a failed attempt to stop Severus Snape fleeing from Hogwarts, during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower.
- Antonin Dolohov used this spell during the Luchino Caffe Duel against Ron Weasley in 1997.
- Antonin Dolohov
- Dolores Umbridge
- Peter Pettigrew
- Harry Potter
- Quirinus Quirrell
- Remus Lupin
- Severus Snape
- "Incarcerus" is also the Danish translation of "Incarcerous".
Behind the scenes
- In the books, the ropes simply wrap themselves around the centaur's arms and chest; in the film, they also encase his throat, slowly strangling him and forcing him to the ground.
- In the film adaption of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows:Part 1, a Snatcher is seen casting this spell on Ron Weasley who is bound in chains, of course it could have been a similar spell such as "Incarcereta" but it seems most likely that it was Incarcerous.
- Also in the film adaption of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:Part 2, while fighting their way down to the boathouse, Harry is seen casting this spell where a great flash of orange light escapes his wand and a Death Eater that was trying to lunge at him was instantly bound in chains, again it is unclear if this was Incarcerous or a different capturing-type spell.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Incarcerous)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (DS version)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 33 (Fight and Flight)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 17 (The Man with Two Faces)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 19 (The Servant of Lord Voldemort)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Chapter 26 (The Cave)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 9 (A Place to Hide)